[whatwg] href attribute

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Sun Mar 11 13:27:14 PDT 2007

On Sun Mar 11, 2007 at 08:52:36PM +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 06:03:02 +0100, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman at disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
> >>In any case not all <a>'s are hyperlinks so for your meaning of semantic they should also not be automatically hyperlinks (or anchors if you wish). I am pretty sure that existence of 'href'
> >
> >Let me also play the devil (I love it) : a feature is not trashable
> >only because it comes from XHTML 2.0 :-)
>
> I agree. One of the reasons HTML5 has <section> and redefined <h1>-<h6>.
>

> >Here, a global href is a really cool idea, we should have done it in
> >HTML 4 but we were too blind to see.
>
> What are the problems it solves? To my mind introducing it will just break compatibility and complicate implementations for no apparent benefit. You also get to deal with silly cases like:

suppose one is building a GUI with solely <canvas> elements. say you have a doorway, clicking on it opens into the room, which is another page. forcing this stuff into onclick() just because href= is invalid, decreases scrapability/accessibility. is one supposed to just wrap canvas polygons in <a>s or something?