[whatwg] href attribute

Colin Lieberman colin at fontshop.com
Mon Mar 12 07:32:04 PDT 2007

Hi all.  (Double apologies for accidentally sending that last email
before finishing it)

My apologies for starting this rather exciting thread. :)

Several commenters (Matthew Raymond comes most prominently to mind) have
convinced me that while a global href attribute would be handy, it's
just not worth it:

One of his excellent points is a real clincher for me:

5) Using just an attribute can cause restructuring of markup when you
need to add content to a hyperlink. Let's say you start with this:

| <abbr href="http://w3.org" title="World Wide Web Consortium">
|   W3C
| </abbr>

   Suppose you now want to add the word "Website" to the hyperlink:

|   <abbr title="World Wide Web Consortium">W3C</abbr> Website

That case alone shows the need for an a element.

That said, I think there is a strong case for other element allowing
links besides a... li and abbr pop to mind.