[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Robert Brodrecht whatwg at robertdot.org
Mon Mar 12 19:43:31 PDT 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> Beg my pardon but did you try to do this on the server hosting
> robertdot.org?
> It should not affect any headers. At least it was so last time I
> tried to do the same.

For the record, my initial test was on my computer (Apache on Mac OS
X 10.4).  I took your suggestion and ran the tests on my rented
virtual server.

To see the results (explanations of each are on the page):

[1] http://whatwg.robertdot.org/files/20070312-html/
[2] http://whatwg.robertdot.org/files/20070312-xhtml/

Also, I added the following to an .htaccess file: 'Header append X-
Standards-Mode "HTML5"'  If you open the URL with LiveHTTPHeaders
(FireFox extension) running, you'll see the header included.

[3] http://whatwg.robertdot.org/files/20070312-standards-mode/

I don't mean this as an advertisement, but merely as a reference to
help my point about headers.  My site is hosted a
deltawebhosting.com.  I pay $3 per month.  I would hope that a more
expensive server would, at least, offer the same great features I get
for $3.  But, if not, meta http-equivs are available.  I just like
the .htaccess header because it is invisible, easier to implement on
existing pages, and doesn't need to go in an html recommendation.
Rather, it'd go on MSDN where it belongs (and probably end up on
quirksmode.com).

Robert <http://robertdot.org>