[whatwg] Fallback behavior

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Tue Mar 13 01:46:12 PDT 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:47:23 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the current spec does not adequately define how
> fallback behavior works. Specifically, what should be done with fallback
> content when not falling back?
>
> Presumably it should be parsed into the DOM, but should not render -
> that's the de facto behavior. But I don't think the spec says that
> anywhere. Then there are weirder cases, where some element has a side
> effect other than rendering.

Not render? That's really up to CSS, I'd say.

> - should scripts in fallback content execute?
> - should style elements in fallback content apply style?

Currently they apply, as far as I know. I'm not sure what should happen.
The case that bugs me most is something like

   <object data=foo>
     <object data=bar>

where foo and bar both start playing something, but you can't actually see
bar or turn it off...

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>