[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Colin Lieberman colin at fontshop.com
Tue Mar 13 09:04:39 PDT 2007

I'm not sure how this is a backwards compatibility issue. My
understanding is that user agents aren't actually parsing information
from the doctype, just checking for its existence. The only applications
that should break are validators, which would need to be updated anyway.

I ran some quick (and highly unscientific tests) on ff1.5 and ie7 (both
pc) with a real html 4 doctype, <!DOCTYPE html>, and <!DOCTYPE html5>
(both with and without a space before the 5), and nothing broke in terms
of rendering or function.

Please let me know if there's something I'm missing here.

Thanks,
Colin Lieberman