[whatwg] Versioning

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Wed Mar 14 10:17:29 PDT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:13:14 +0100, Geoffrey Sneddon
<foolistbar at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> This is a switch out of backwards-compatibility-hell for a single
>> specific browser they are asking for, not something any other browser
>> vendor should have to worry about.
>
> Other browsers introduced quirks mode to match buggy behaviour of others
> – what's to say that won't happen here, so that other browsers have an
> IE/Win DOM mode, which would therefore require a switch?

I don't think you can compare the current quirks mode with something for
which non-IE browsers would have to essentially rethink how to implement
the DOM (allowing "incest" relations) and rendering (hasLayout comes to
mind). Some of the things there fundamentally break with both the DOM and
CSS specifications.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>