[whatwg] Using the HTML5 DOCTYPE as a new quirksmode switch

Asbjørn Ulsberg asbjorn at tigerstaden.no
Wed Mar 14 10:22:18 PDT 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:33:54 +0100, Simon Pieters <zcorpan at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> The only way to not break 50% of the web is to invent a new mode that
>> gives the IE developers a blank sheet they can begin to draw on.
>
> FWIW, I think the 50% figure is incorrect. According to [1], 90% of the
> web use quirks mode.

Although it's great to get the right numbers on the table, it isn't really
relevant for this discussion. If the IE team feels an obligation to
maintain backwards compatibility with CSS1Compat and thus has a need to
introduce another rendering switch, then that's what matters. The
discussion is then how this should be enabled, and my proposal is with
<!DOCTYPE html>.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/