[whatwg] Scripting and WF2 repetition model?

Dave Raggett dsr at w3.org
Wed Mar 14 11:53:49 PDT 2007

I am trying to put together a demo for Web Forms 2.0 where each row
has a product name, quantity and unit price, and there is a summary
field at the end of the form showing the total price.

I have been able to get the repetition to work fine, once I realized
that the thead and tbody elements are needed, without them the
column headers mysteriously appear at the bottom of the table, but
perhaps that's just a bug in Opera 9.

What I haven't yet worked out is how to address the fields in each
row from the onforminput event handler set on the form element.
In the following, I get an alert that the form object is missing the
row, and then an error. Any ideas on how to address the fields in
a script that iterates across the rows and fields?

<script type="text/javascript">
function update()
{
   var form = document.forms[0];
   if (!form) alert("missing form");
   if (!form.row) alert("form is missing row");
   alert("rows = " + form.row[0].item.value);
}
</script>

<form name="form1" onsubmit="false" onforminput="update()">
<fieldset name="lineItem">
<legend>Repeating groups of fields</legend>
name"></td>
purchased"></td>
per unit"></td>
</fieldset>

<input name="total" readonly="readonly">
<button type="submit">Submit</button>
</form>

  Dave Raggett <dsr at w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett