[whatwg] Embedding Elements Should be Structured Inline-Level

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Wed Mar 14 23:31:58 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Mason" <whatwg at accessibleinter.net>
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news at terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>; "Colin Lieberman"
<colin at fontshop.com>; <whatwg at whatwg.org>; "Michel Fortin"
<michel.fortin at michelf.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Embedding Elements Should be Structured Inline-Level

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> Strictly speaking HTML4 does not dictate inline nature of the image.
>>
>> The only place I've found is this:
>>
>> "The IMG element has no content; it is *usually* replaced inline by the
>> image
>> designated by the src attribute." [1]
>>
>> This phrase use word "usually" that imply exceptions
>> other than float cases. This is how I read this but I am not sure about
>> it.
>
> No, I believe the full quote makes it clear that float cases *are* the
> exception to inline presentation:
>
> "The IMG element has no content; it is usually replaced inline by the
> image designated by the src attribute, the exception being for left or
> right-aligned images that are "floated" out of line."
>
> IMG elements do not meet the distinctions for block-level as described in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#didx-inline

Thanks, Bill, for the clarification.

I think that word 'usually' is redundant there then.

At least it is not a common wording:
"usually A but sometimes B" makes sense but
"usually A except of  B" from view of
formal logic or fuzzy set math do
not cover the full set (with 1.0 possibility).
This is why I found it a bit confusing.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com