[whatwg] Video proposals

Kornel Lesinski kornel at osiolki.net
Fri Mar 16 14:37:17 PDT 2007

I think it would be useful if fragment identifiers in URL could specify
starting position of video. This would let anyone to bookmark position in
the video without having to worry about (lack of) site-specific navigation
and UI for seeking.

page.html#id-of-video at hh:mm:ss

(I'm not sure how should it be handled if <video> doesn't have an ID -
maybe ID of any ancestor element could be used instead or fragment would
affect any/first video on the page)

The use case however is quite simple and common:
If I'm watching long video and want to show interesting part of it to my
friends (or bookmark it), I could right-click the video, choose "Copy link
to this video" option and have URL with current playing position copied.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński