[whatwg] Video proposals

Robert Brodrecht whatwg at robertdot.org
Fri Mar 16 16:59:59 PDT 2007

Håkon Wium Lie said:
> I'd rather make <video> and <audio> optional so that those who cannot
> support these Ogg on these elements (for whatever reason) can still
> comply with the spec. They can also support proprietary codecs through
> <object>.

Do you mean make the elements themselves optional to support?  If so, I
think that is a good way to make sure no one supports them.  If you mean
not having the codec be required, I might be willing to agree.  However, I
would also think that it would be a good way to make sure few, if any,
common formats are supported (I can't reliably get WMV files to play on my
Mac, for example, and Microsoft would certainly provide support for WMV).

PNG was "donated" to the W3C and has been implemented by the major vendors
(so, there are no problems with licensing, apparently).  I wonder if there
is any video format that could be similarly used since this
BSD-style-license'd format isn't up to spec for some vendors.  It doesn't
have to be the best.  It just has to be decent.

--
Robert <http://robertdot.org>