[whatwg] Video proposals

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 17 09:59:49 PDT 2007

Matthew Raymond wrote:
>    Sure. What happens if you're taking old videos of a page because you
> moved them to a site like YouTube? How would you tell them apart from
> other content in the page that might require <object>, like SVG graphics
> and such?

With HEAD requests? A personal spidering tool like wget could pull down
all linked videos based on content-type as specified by the server.

> For that matter, if the file fails to load, you don't have a
> MIME type at all, so what kind of presentation would a broken video have
> on the page if you don't even have a MIME type to tell you it's a video?
> If you have a <video> element, it could just give you a broken film icon.

Well, actually, you probably shouldn't see a broken film icon because
authors should include text/html alternatives using the fallback
mechanisms provided by both <object> and <video>, and this will remain
the case until we have open container formats that are interoperable
with free and open source user agents, can serve people of differing
abilities, and have an accessibility feature-set that authors generally
use.

In any case, how does knowing the object missing was a video not (say) a
Flash object help the end-user?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis