[whatwg] audio vs. video

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 18 09:34:01 PDT 2007

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> Letting each and every content provider decide on the UI for their
> content just creates usablity hell for end users.

Agreed. It's astonishing how much effort goes into creating usability
hell.

>  Content providers will likely want to provide their own UI, if only for 'branding'. So, for adoption
> sake, it might be wise to allow this, but UAs would have to allows users to
> override that in favour of the UA's built-in UI.

Perhaps most content providers UIs will just be branding-bloated and
user-hostile. But some will no doubt also incorporate additional
functionality; it would be a shame to lose such innovations. I wonder if
we should encourage UAs both to implement their own UI and faciliate
adding functionality (/not/ branding or style though) to that UI. This
isn't without precedent. Flash objects offer a standard context menu,
but authors can add options to that menu. (I think they can also remove
options, but from the user's point of view that's a bug.)

I suspect the fact that JS can't add to the context menu in browser
environments more generally is a shame.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis