[whatwg] Video proposals

Håkon Wium Lie howcome at opera.com
Mon Mar 19 15:03:43 PDT 2007

Also sprach Robert Brodrecht:

 > As I said before, I think we have a lot better chance at getting a common,
 > cross-browser, cross-platform format with MPEG 4.  The reason WHAT WG
 > proposed Theora is *because* it is FOSS, not for quality, size, ease of
 > implementation, or anything else (as far as I know).

Due to software patents, MPEG 4 costs money. Also, it requires more
processing power than many devices have. Who will pay for licenses to
OLPC's machines? And, how will the get the power to decode?

I think it's vital that we find an open format that the free world can
use.

If MPEG4 is the alternative, we might as well continue using Flash and
<object>. But it's not a world I want to live in.

-h&kon
howcome at opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome