[whatwg] Video proposals

Håkon Wium Lie howcome at opera.com
Tue Mar 20 01:01:20 PDT 2007

Also sprach Robert Brodrecht:

 > > Quality, size, etc. have all been goals of the Theora project, so it's
 > > not really fair to say that they haven't been considered.  There is no
 > > technical reason why Theora shouldn't be specified as a baseline format.
 >
 > I think you took that out of context.  I wasn't making a judgement about
 > Theora.  I'm sure it will get the job done as a baseline codec.  I was
 > simply saying that the WHAT WG mailing list discussion went something
 > like: "We ought to use an open codec!" and someone said, "Theora is open!"

It wasn't quite like that. Opera's experimental build, which was
demoed the day the proposal went to the WHAT WG, had support for the
<video> element and a native Theora decoder. Some conscious thinking
went into picking Theora in the first place.

  http://my.opera.com/saito/blog/show.dml/787937
  http://coolastory.blogspot.com/2007/03/sv-web-builders-event-world-premier-of.html
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUqC1URVytk
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKXomOLraXg