[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Christoph Päper christoph.paeper at crissov.de
Wed Mar 21 05:57:37 PDT 2007

David "liorean" Andersson:
> On 21/03/07, Robert Brodrecht <whatwg at robertdot.org> wrote:
>> Christoph Päper said:
>> >
>> >    <form method="MEDIA">
>> >      <video src="pretty.ogg"/>
>> >      <button type="play"/>
>> >    </form>
>>
>> I was somewhat concerned with the script-only controls.

Chris Adams:
|  <video src='some_file.ogg'>
|    <button type='playpause' />
|  </video>

"Shadow2531":
|  <form action="video:" target="video element id">
|    <input type="button" name="play">
|  </form>

> <button type="play" for="idref_to_video">play</button>
> <progress type="played" for=idref_to_video></progress>
> <progress type="buffered" for=idref_to_video></progress>

Of these ideas Chris Adams', to which yours might be considered an
extension, is probably the easiest, for authors at least.

I did not put much thinking in the |method| method, but I thought in
some regard the containing element should not look like a usual |
form| and this was the first best thing I came up with. If the |
action| attribute is a better place or |video| could be allowed to
have (certain) autoassigned form control children, that would be just
as fine with me.

> Where the buttons automatically without scripting do the equivalent of
> the API function with the same name, and where the progress elements
> gets it's value from the video as it plays/gets buffered.

This poses a problem, the API would have to resemble the common UI
controls closely. Elsewhere it seems consensus that the API should be
as slim as possible.