[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

Simon Pieters zcorpan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 12:30:13 PDT 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:11:57 +0100, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Shouldn't the video API include a way to toggle full screen on/off?

Browsers are allowed to provide full screen, however there's no API for
it. Entering fullscreen should only be under the control of the user,
otherwise the author could hijack the user's screen and no way to get out
of it (e.g. as soon as the user tries to exit fullscreen, the script goes
back to fullscreen).

> I'd suggest adding a new property to the HTMLVideoElement interface: the
> .fullscreen boolean. This should be used to toggle full screen video
> rendering. The way this works should be left at the discretion of the
> UA: it can be real full screen, or only full screen within the viewport.
> The UA must be required to provide a way to exit the full screen mode.

You can make a video fill the viewport using CSS.

--
Simon Pieters