[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 13:04:12 PDT 2007

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> Something else concerning first-class Netizenry: I'd like to see the spec to
> require UAs support implicit anchors, so that one can link to a specific
> startpoint: <URL:http://domain.example/movie.ogg#21:08>, to mean "fetch the
> movie and start playing it at 21 minutes 8 seconds into the movie". (Or
> better yet, if this can be achieved reliably, don't fetch the entire movie,
> but only from 21:08 on.)

When using this with HTML we don't link to #line50, or #paragraph3, or
#section9, we link to an anchor in the document itself. We do this to
avoid tying the link to a specific representation of the resource, and
to allow the document to change to a certain extent without breaking the
links.

I don't know of a video container format that allows named anchors to be
specified, though.

The interpretation of fragment identifiers on video is a bit out of
scope for an HTML specification regardless of whether it's specified as
time or a bookmark. If someone invents a video format that allows named
anchors, they can write in their own specification how fragment
identifiers are to be interpreted. It's none of HTML's business.