[whatwg] Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements

Eric Carlson eric.carlson at apple.com
Wed Mar 21 21:07:19 PDT 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Robert Brodrecht wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:08 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>

>> The DOM attribute currentRate is the rate at which a media element
>> is currently playing.
>
> I'm guessing this would be in frames per second?  Is it the frames
> per second it is playing or the available frames per second encoded
> in the video?

   No, it is a multiple of the file's intrinsic (or "natural") rate.
"Frames per second" loses meaning quickly with digital media files,
where individual frames can have arbitrary duration (true even for
animated GIF files).

>> The DOM attribute hasAudio returns a value that specifies whether
>> the element has audio media.
>
> Does a video element hasAudio return true or false?  Is this based
> only on the existence of some media or will it determine if the
> video actually has an audio track?

   It is based on the presence of absence of an audio track, so a
video element may or may not return true.

eric