[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

Gareth Hay gazhay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 09:55:39 PDT 2007

As my last word on this pointless bit of the thread, I'm going to
spell it out....

Your thread:

> Martin Atkins wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you and I have different ideas about what is meant by
>> "full screen", but why would a page need to hide anything when the
>> video is full screen? The page itself won't be visible, because
>> the video will be taking up the entire screen!
>>

> My thought was that it would be the same function as the current
> "full screen" that the browser has. I.e. the page says "For full-
> screen, press F11". The user presses F11 and the browser makes the
> window full-screen, and additionally tells the page that this has
> happened via an event, so it can arrange to make the appropriate
> content fill the entire viewport. (Or not, if they want to continue
> to display captions, or ads, or a set of links).

I was agreeing with Martin and disagreeing with you.
Fullscreen video should be like that of a media player, think VLC,
Quicktime, DVD Player(on the Mac), Cyber-whatever, you choose
fullscreen, all you get is the video.

I think it should be like this, as you are telling the <video>
element to go fullscreen and *not* the page.
That's my opinion.

On 22 Mar 2007, at 16:02, Gervase Markham wrote:

> Gareth Hay wrote:
>> I really don't understand this attitude, it was a very clear
>> point, pressing F11 in a *large* number of browsers does not
>> provide a 'fullscreen' mode. I mean, how many mobile devices even
>> have an F11?
>
> Er, F11 was an example (that's what it is in Firefox).
>
> I could have said "press whatever key or take whatever user action
> is necessary to invoke the browser's mode where it occupies the
> entire screen", but I thought that people would have understood
> what I mean. It seems not.

I hope with this last comment you are attempting to be as humerous as
I was when I made the IE quip.

Gaz