[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 10:15:49 PDT 2007

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Gareth Hay wrote:
>> I think it should be like this, as you are telling the <video> element
>> to go fullscreen and *not* the page.
>> That's my opinion.
>
> I guess that's the heart of it. My view is the opposite. I don't think
> video should be special in this regard.
>
> If you want to see an embedded image full screen, you do "View Image",
> then "Full Screen". Why can video not be the same? Of course, the page
> should have the option (with the event I mentioned) of making doing
> "Full Screen" for the browser Do The Right Thing with the video, if they
> think that's what the Right Thing is. And maybe that would become the
> norm on video sharing sites.

Incidentally, although I'm in favour of the full-screen feature under
discussion being for full-screen *video*, not full-screen pages, I'm not
arguing that this should be mandated by the spec. This is something that
browsers could choose to offer, just as they could choose to offer
full-screen images as you mention in your example.

Given that showing a video or image full-screen requires no co-operation
from the page it was embedded on, it doesn't need to be in the spec.
It's a browser implementation detail.