[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Nicholas Shanks contact at nickshanks.com
Thu Mar 22 12:46:50 PDT 2007

On 22 Mar 2007, at 19:23, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> At 18:31 +0000 UTC, on 2007-03-21, Nicholas Shanks wrote:
>
>> On 21 Mar 2007, at 12:43, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to see the spec to
>>> require UAs support implicit anchors, so that one can link to a
>>> specific startpoint: <URL:http://domain.example/movie.ogg#21:08>,
>>> to mean
>>> "fetch the
>>> movie and start playing it at 21 minutes 8 seconds into the
>>> movie".   [...]
>>
>> Well besides the fact that fragment ids cannot start with a number
>
> We're not talking about IDs, just fragment identifiers. My point
> was that
> with video, you could use fragment identifiers *without* the need
> for the
> author to provide IDs.

I see your point, but i would like for fragment identifiers within a
video to be equal to fragment IDs in text fallback content. Therefore
they have to be constrained to the same limits.

> the client doing the request should be smart enough to know to
> escape the colon

Wikipedia section IDs have lots of escaping, but it's all done by the
wiki server, not the UA. I don't know if this is because UAs can't be
trusted to get it right or not.

- Nicholas.