[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Kornel Lesinski kornel at osiolki.net
Thu Mar 22 16:13:44 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:53:48 -0000, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> About 8 years ago, we had the idea of using fragment offsets to start
> playing from offsets of media files. However, in discussions with the
> URI standardisation team at W3C it turned out that fragment offsets
> are only being seen by the UA that sends them, so they will never
> reach the web server.

I think we had in mind (at least I did) URL of the page that contains the
video, not the URL of the video file itself. Because of this indirection
it's completly up to UA to read fragment identifier and translate it into
appropriate HTTP request for the video file (which could use Range header
that's more proxy-friendly than query string).

Let's say there's http://example.com/example.html page which contains
embedded video:
...<video src="video.ogg">...

I'd like to be able to construct URL like:
http://example.com/example.html#@12:35
that would cause UA to start playing the embedded video.ogg from 12:35.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński