[whatwg] Codecs (was Re: Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Mar 22 22:25:23 PDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Robert Sayre wrote:
> On 3/23/07, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > The technologies I listed _are_ covered by patents, yet they are not
> > proprietary. This seems like a relevant counterexample to your
> > argument.
>
> If I have to pay someone because they own something, that seems like a
> pretty good indicator of a proprietary technology. Why would I have to
> pay money if no one owns the codec?

It's not the codec owners you have to pay money to. You have to pay money
to the people whose techniques are used in the codec algorithms. They
don't own the codec, they own a government-granted temporary monopoly on
the ideas that the codec makes use of.

> > > Proprietary technologies can come from a group of vendors as well.
> >
> > Yes, if that group is closed.
>
> How can I join MPEG-LA?

MPEG-LA didn't make the patent. They're simply an association that
collects fees for people whose patents happen to cover ideas that are used
in the MPEG4 codecs. Frauhnhofer is the similar group for MPEG1 Layer 3
audio codec, another ISO standard.