[whatwg] Codecs (was Re: Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements)

Christian F.K. Schaller christian at fluendo.com
Fri Mar 23 04:49:44 PDT 2007

Hi Gareth,
This is a strange way of looking at the issue. Once a patent is granted
it is by definition valid and enforceable. It is the people opposing it
who have to prove their non-legality at that point and not the other way
around. So sure a lot of software patents might be challenged around
Europe, but the main burden of proving they are non-valid falls on the
people opposing the patent and not the patent holder. So until someone
have successfully challenged all the patents involved and gotten them
found invalid they are by definition valid. A granted patent is valid
until a court of law finds it invalid, not invalid until a court of law
finds it valid.

Be aware that I do not support the idea of software patents, not in the
slightest, but one have to accept that in many places around the world
they are 'the law of the land'. One should work to change the law, not
pretend it doesn't exist.

Christian