[whatwg] <video> element feedback

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 28 22:04:33 PDT 2007

Laurens Holst wrote:
> So, what do you think would be needed to fix this situation.

In my dream world, IE would support dispatch by MIME type and authors who don't
care about targeting a specific plug-in binary could just stop using the classid
mess.

> Would it be possible to change Mozilla’s behaviour so that it still tries to invoke
> the plugin finder if the classid attribute is used?

Not particularly, since those <object>s often depend on implementation details
of the ActiveX plug-ins in question (which are not necessarily shared by the
NPAPI versions).

> Or should Internet
> Explorer fix their behaviour of objects nested in objects (you would
> still have two nested elements then though), or support finding plugins
> in the absence of a classid attribute?

Yes to both, in my opinion.

-Boris