[whatwg] on codecs in a 'video' tag.

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Sat Mar 31 02:56:03 PDT 2007

Maciej Stachowiak schrieb:
> - They are technically superior to Ogg (seekable container format,
> significantly better bitrate for video)

Just to make sure no misunderstandings are generated: Of course Ogg is
seekable, even over HTTP (not just theoretically, but also in practice
as demonstrated by the Cortado player applet).

The omission of fixed seeking tables was a deliberate design decision to
make Ogg suitable for streaming (most prominent features: Concatenating
Ogg streams will result in a valid Ogg stream again).

By the way, I was informed that Apple did not *license* VP3, they simply
provide an automated download of a QT component to enable VP3 playback
if a user encounters such content. Provided that Apple's <video>
implementation most likely will be based on QuickTime - couldn't
something similiar be done for Ogg Theora (there is an official QT
component by Xiph.org)? I guess that may lessen the interlectual
properties problems as another party is responsible for the component.

Maik Merten