[whatwg] Default (informal) Style Sheet

Asbjørn Ulsberg asbjorn at ulsberg.no
Sat Mar 31 18:38:02 PDT 2007

Since having informal Relax-NG schema fragments in the HTML specification
has been discussed, I think there might be room to discuss the inclusion
of default CSS (perhaps even Aural CSS) fragments in the specification as
well.

While HTML is a semantic markup language, it's not something to ignore
that it's mostly used for visual rendering of content, often accompanied
by a CSS document. While I'm a strong believer of separation between
structure (HTML), presentation (CSS) and functionality (JavaScript), I
think it could be useful for the HTML specification to -- within limits --
define how each and every element's default CSS properties and values
should be like.

This could improve interoperability in the presentation layer, since no
author starts with a blank canvas when composing his style sheet. The
author style sheet is always built atop the browser (and even the user's)
style sheet, which in most cases vary in different degrees on an element
to element basis. If each element's default style could be specified, the
variations would be less and we might even discover CSS properties that
are missing to be able to provide a default style: Such issues should, if
they occur, be addressed on the CSS mailing list.

I think this could improve both the HTML and CSS specifications
significantly. Please share your thoughts.

Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn at ulsberg.no