[whatwg] additional empty elements

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Tue May 1 12:38:20 PDT 2007

On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:21:20 +0200, Brenton Strine
<Brenton.Strine at citrix.com> wrote:

> A nice solution would be the addition of a few div tags.
> (e.g. <div2>, <div3>, <div4> and <div5>.) Then you could
> do something like this:

HTML is a language for markup meaningful by itself, not just as a hook for
CSS. <div2> doesn't mean anything.

> I am okay with the unimaginative numbering of the extra
> elements, as it would make it easy to have a lot of new
> elements. However, there are countless possibilities:

This is something that WHATWG is already doing (<section>, <footer> etc),
basing on the popularity of certain classnames found in the wild.