[whatwg] Pre-defined classes and conformance

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri May 4 08:36:41 PDT 2007

Quoting the spec:
> Conformance checkers must use the information given on the WHATWG
> Wiki ClassExtensions page to establish if a value not explicitly
> defined in this specification is defined, and if so, whether it is
> being used on the right elements.

This is problematic as previously conforming documents would be made
non-conforming when a class name is registered and doesn't apply to
all elements (then the previously conforming documents use it
elements for which it doesn't apply according to the registration).

> When an author uses a new class name not defined by either this
> specification or the Wiki page, conformance checkers may offer to
> add the value to the Wiki, with the details described above, with
> the "proposal" status.

It has been pointed out to me that the offers would drive developer
crazy.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi