[whatwg] Proposal: Allow block content inside label element

Křištof Želechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Wed May 9 03:28:20 PDT 2007

The restriction on LABEL behavior is not a clarification, it is a change.
The browser vendor has to choose whether it is compliant with version 4 or
5.  Therefore the current behavior can hardly be called a bug.  Note that
this change is not reported on the Wiki
<http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Changes_from_HTML4#Changed_Elements>; I did not
update the content because I strongly oppose this idea.  It seems it has
strong support
<http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-July/thread.html#1
366> - where Mr. Raymond's opinion unfortunately sank - but there is a
possibility to overthrow it by making it void on a legal basis:
The Microsoft Windows environment does not provide a native LABEL control.*
It there was one, the restriction of version 5 would perhaps apply.  But you
cannot tell how the native control behaves when it does not exist.  You can
assume it would redirect the focus to the input control if it existed, and
introduce the feature to the browser upon that assumption.
Cheers
Chris
--
*The GUI allows to associate text with a control.  The result of associating
text with a control that is not allowed to contain text is making the text