[whatwg] <font>

Adrian Sutton adrian.sutton at ephox.com
Wed May 9 08:07:28 PDT 2007

On 9/5/07 12:40 AM, "Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis" <bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Leaving aside the broken backends and focusing on the desire for the
> font menu, I don't understand what sort of workflows we're talking about
> here. Would you mind giving a bit more typical context, as with the
> use-cases at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/NOTE-grddl-scenarios-20070406/
>
> I'd have assumed corporate clients generating PDF would want to set
> fonts globally or configure styles to match their own branding guidelines.

Let me first just reiterate:
1. The font tag allowance in the current spec is pointless, does not
actually help any of the issues I've mentioned and needs to be removed.
2. I strongly recommend that people don't include a font menu and instead
use CSS to apply styling to ensure a consistent look for their site.

The only reason I said anything in this thread is so that the list was aware
of the realities of what a WYSIWYG HTML editor has to deal with.

Now as for particular use cases - there are many people who are using HTML
editors as a replacement for a word processor. They may be using an internal
wiki where anything goes, a content management system or a range of other
systems. These people basically don't care about content vs presentation,
they want it to work like Word does and as such they want a font menu, color
menus, the whole lot. For them it works and since I'm not an on-site
consultant, I don't necessarily have all the details of why they want it to
work this way. What I do know is that there are people who want to use
presentational markup in HTML. This use case is completely supported by
inline styles and span tags, there's no need for an exception in the spec.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion over what I'm seeing our clients do
vs what I think the spec should include.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.
Adrian Sutton, Integrations Product Manager
Global Direct: +1 (650) 292 9659 x717  Australia: +61 (7) 3858 0118
UK +44 (20) 8123 0617 x717    Mobile +61 (4) 222-36329
Ephox <http://www.ephox.com/>,   Ephox Blogs <http://planet.ephox.com/>