[whatwg] Canvas 2d methods

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu May 10 14:01:12 PDT 2007

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> Even without using |with|, why not just create a simple JS wrapper for
> the context object that can have return-this or any other desired
> semantics?  This would avoid a change that would have some apps require
> "canvas 2D 2.0" or some such, and require authors to do version checks
> to see which version of canvas is supported -- and still write "old"
> code for quite some time.  Adding "a different way" to do the same
> things that can be done now without much benefit in simplicity or
> efficiency doesn't seem useful.
>
> Canvas supports multiple contexts for a reason; if there are compelling
> arguments for a complete rev of the 2D API, then a new context can be
> introduced to support that.

Given that the two first <canvas> implementors are against this change,
and that the request doesn't introduce a new feature per se, and that
there are a number of ways to obtain the desired language style even with
the current spec, and that the DOM APIs don't generally use this calling
style anyway, I'm going to opt for not changing the spec at this stage.

I understand that this isn't what everyone wanted, and I understand that
chaining calls is a common idiom in other contexts. The cost of changing
the spec at this point is just higher than the potential benefit, in my
opinion. (The cost is quite high, mostly in terms of testing.)