[whatwg] canvas elements <rect> <polygon> etc

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri May 11 11:34:42 PDT 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, carmen wrote:

> > suppose one is building a GUI with solely <canvas> elements.
>
> i suppose i should have researched <canvas> - it looks like it doesn't
> have elemnts one might be faimilar with the Tk canvas - you can only
> draw using javascript. are there plans to support html style creation of
> elements within the <canvas> tag?

No immediate plans, no. There have been suggestions along these lines, but
in general SVG would be the preferred solution right now.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, carmen wrote:

> thats kind of what i'm asking, it looks like SVG has its own API
> already, sort of similar to canvas. are there plans to merge? can you
> use svg elements inwide a canvas element or will the browser not find
> them? are there plans for that to change? etc.

They are independent features.

> i guess a roadmap explaining the relationship between <canvas> and
> <svg>.. is this another xhtml2 vs html5, simultaneous development? what
> was wrong with SVG that required a simpler replacement (but i guess not
> element level interface)..

SVG and <canvas> have very different expected use cases. <canvas> is
useful for lightweight dynamic bitmap presentation, e.g. bitmap games,
fractal generation, or dynamically generated sparklines. SVG is more
suited for static images, sprite-based animation (e.g. your typical "Flash
cartoon"), and interactive graphics where components are long-lived but
move around a lot.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, ddailey wrote:

> I have had no interest in learning (or teaching) about the Canvas tag
> since, from what I can see, it is quite impoverished relative to SVG.
> And, to boot, it is not universal across browsers. The browsers that
> support Canvas, pretty much already do support, or seem to be close to
> supporting SVG.

Hopefully the explanation above highlights the reasons for both to exist.