[whatwg] several messages

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed May 16 16:25:31 PDT 2007

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, L. David Baron wrote:

> I've written tests for the 11 operators defined in the paper, plus a
> test for 'darker' that assumes Quartz's PlusDarker operator [1]:
>
>   http://dbaron.org/tests/canvas/composite-operations4
>
> It seems like 'darker' is currently not interoperable, and might be
> unlikely to become interoperable, due to different availability of
> compositing operators across platforms.  (Quartz has PlusDarker. Mozilla
> uses the saturate operator that is provided by Cairo/libpixman (and also
> by XRender), which is described in [2] and [3], but seems to me to be
> quite different.)
>
> One solution to that problem would be to remove 'darker' from the spec
> rather than defining it one way or the other.  Thoughts?

I've referenced the paper and dropped 'darker'.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Philip Taylor wrote:

> [snip a very long and detailed discussion of the operators, with much
> research]

Wow. Thanks! Based on David's input above and on your own advice, and on
Vlad's later comments, I've simply removed 'darker' and referenced
Porter-Duff for the others.

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> Well, if we have lighter, we should keep darker; I think that for
> mozilla at least, we can implement this using some slow-boat fallback
> mechanism -- basically, render the path/image to a separate surface,
> then manually do the requested math if things don't map directly to one
> of our operators; this is what our SVG impl does now for many of the SVG
> filters.

According to David, 'lighter' is just Porter-Duff's 'plus'. Is that not
right? For now I've left it, with that definition.