[whatwg] Predefined classes are gone

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Thu May 17 17:43:45 PDT 2007

Ian Hickson wrote:
> forums, and mailing lists other than this one, like www-html and
> public-html) I've removed the predefined classes. They're opaque again.
>
> The main use cases for predefined classes can mostly be dealt with using
> some of the new elements. class=note and class=example, for instance, can
> instead use <aside> elements, class=copyright can use <small>, etc.

The use cases for "error", "warning" and "search" aren't yet covered
well with other elements.

* class="search"

The aim of this one was to be able to indicate the form specifically
used for searching. This would then allow UAs, especially assistive
technology, to implement keyboard shortcuts or other mechanisms for
taking the user directly to the search form.  role="search" is provided
by the role attribute spec for a similar purpose, and Safari also has
<input type="search">.  I would prefer the new input type because it
also has direct benefits for regular users, not just those with
assistive technology.

* class="error"

The original idea for this was for indicating error messages,
particularly related form fields.  The problem is that screen readers,
when in forms mode, only read the content of form control labels, which
has resulted in authors having to write any error messages within
labels, which is kind of a hack.  Labels and error messages should be
able to be separated and providing a way to specifically indicate them
would allow screen readers to indicate their presence to the user and
read it on request.

* class="warning"

This is similar to "error", but I can't recall the specific use cases.

There are various possible solutions to replace error and warning, some
of which include the following.  (This is just brainstorming, neither of
these are particularly well thought out ideas.)

1. New <attn> element (short for 'attention'), which is specifically for
attracting the users attention, which is exactly what errors and
warnings do.

2. A new attribute on <label> to associate it with a related error message.
e.g. <label for="ctrl" attn="ctrl-error">Foo</label>
      <input id="ctrl">

The <attn> element is more generic and could probably solve other
similar use cases, whereas the the label attribute would only
specifically solve the form error use case.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/