[whatwg] <noscript> should be allowed in <head>

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed May 30 02:18:40 PDT 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 2:02 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>>
>>> Again, you're making the assumption that any consumer of HTML
>>> content is a browser.
>> No, the assumption isn't that any consumer is a browser. The
>> assumption is that browsers need to do what they do based on
>> browser-specific constraints and the other consumers need to
>> follow what browsers do in order to be compatible.
>
> ...to be compatible with what? The browsers?
>
> So let's rephrase this question: will there be a conformance class
> for HTML5 consumers that *only* accept conforming documents? (Keep
> in mind that these consumers may not even have a DOM or a
> Javascript engine).

Do you mean: (A) only documents that meet all document conformance
criteria (B) only documents that meet all *machine-checkable*
conformance criteria or (C) documents that would not trigger any
parse errors if the parsing algorithm were applied?

The HTML5 spec as currently written already allows implementations to
accept only documents in category C, but I don't think there is
allowance for restricting category (B), and checking for (A) by
definition does not make sense.

Conformance errors in general can be quite hard to detect since they
may depend on details of attribute value microsyntax and on
relationships between elements in different parts of the document, so
category (B) is likely not what you want in any case.

Regards,
Maciej