[whatwg] validate attribute in <A>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Nov 3 02:31:03 PDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Mike Hoye wrote:

> Hi, all. I hope this hasn't been proposed before, but if it is my
> googlage is failing me. My proposal is for the addition of a "validate"
> attribute to the the <a> element that would let the client verify the
> content of a link as it comes in, and either put up a warning, a choice
> or just silently drop the incoming data, depending on a user preference.
>
> The validate attribute would describe an algorithm to employ and a
> result to compare it to; for example, somebody downloading the en-US
> version of FF 1.5 from the Mozilla.com homepage could click on a link
> like

>    validate="{md5}b63fcdf4863e59c93d2a29df853b6046">
>
> and the client could verify as it comes in that it does at least have
> the md5sum that's advertised.  User notifications could include "no
> validation", "successfully validated" and "failed validation", and act
> according to the user's wishes in each case.

It's not entirely clear to me what problem this is solving; but wouldn't
content-MD5 (RFC 1864) be a better solution?

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Mike Hoye wrote:

> It's also useful in places where that choice is made for you behind the
> scenes, which is more and more frequently the case. When I click on the
> link on mozilla.com, for example, I start downloading a file from any
> one of a (presumably large) number of places - for the naive end user,
> there's not yet an easy way to be reasonably confident that this file
> you're downloading from ftp.rz.tu-bs.de (sometimes something with the
> word "mozilla" in the name, sometimes netscape, sometimes just an IP
> address) is the file you're supposed to be getting.
>
> I fact, now that I look at it, FF 1.5 doesn't even tell you where that
> file is coming from, or notify you that it's not coming from mozilla.com
> - it just pulls it in.

I think James, Alexey, and Mike make good points here.

I'm not convinced there's a pressing need for such a feature, partially
because it's not entirely clear to me what problem it is solving. For
downloads, code signing seems like a better solution all-round.