[whatwg] lede element

Devi Web Development devi.webmaster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:02:00 PDT 2007

This is just an idea for what I consider to be a solidly semantic element.
It isn't necessary nor does it add any new functionality. However, it
removes one more need for additional span elements.

The lede element is an inline element useful for signifying the lede in a
document. It is commonly used term in journalism for the opening sentence or
two which introduces the article.
More detailed description can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_style#Terms_and_structure

Usage Case:

<h1>Burmese monks 'to be sent away'</h1>
sent to prisons in the far north of the country, sources have told the
BBC.</lede> About 4,000 monks have been rounded up in the past week as the
military government has tried to stamp out pro-democracy protests. They are
being held at a disused race course and a technical college. Sources from a
government-sponsored militia said they would soon be moved away from
Rangoon...

A common styling (in CSS) would be
lede{font-weight:bold}
however, I would not imagine that to be default

Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney
Devi Web Development
Devi.WebMaster at gMail.com