[whatwg] lede element

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:51:48 PDT 2007

Hello,

On 10/2/07, Devi Web Development <devi.webmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> The proposal was purely for the sake of semantics. A <span class="lede">
> styled appropiately via CSS works and looks fine. The element would
> obviously add no functionality. However, I though that this element would
> add more semantic richness and would be useful to news aggregators in
> particular as an alternative to using the first sentence (Google), the first
> paragraph (Yahoo) or the meta description(bbc).

On the Microformats mailing list, there was discussions about summaries at
one time.  (I think it was when hAtom was being discussed.)

At one time there was a proposal to use class-summary for marking the
summary of an article.

You could even use multiple instances of class-summary... and have the
summary be a concatenation of all there (with spaces or something in
between... maybe with ellipses too).

For example...

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. <span class="summary">Ut
enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut
aliquip</span> ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla
pariatur. <span class="summary">Excepteur sint occaecat</span> cupidatat non
proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Notice that 3 things in there are marked with class-summary.

So then the summary might be something like...

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi
ut aliquip ... Excepteur sint occaecat

Or...

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. ... Ut enim ad
minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ...
Excepteur sint occaecat

Depending on how you want to render it.

See ya

--