[whatwg] lede element

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 2 20:42:17 PDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 7:02 AM, Devi Web Development wrote:
> Usage Case:
>
> <h1>Burmese monks 'to be sent away'</h1>
> will be sent to prisons in the far north of the country, sources have
> told the BBC.</lede> About 4,000 monks have been rounded up in the
> past week as the military government has tried to stamp out
> pro-democracy protests. They are being held at a disused race course
> and a technical college. Sources from a government-sponsored militia
> said they would soon be moved away from Rangoon...

In that example from BBC News, the paragraph is actually four
paragraphs. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7022437.stm> BBC
News always puts a <B> element around the first paragraph of a story.
But they also bolden the second paragraph, if it's explaining the
source of the story: <B>...<P>...</B>.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7018411.stm>

So to satisfy the use case of the BBC, <lede> would need to be a block
element. I haven't found any examples where it would be an inline
element.

<http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/nelsonmail/4223173a6510.html>
(To future readers: this link probably will have died in a few months.)

<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6211357.html>

Except where BBC News boldens the second paragraph, these examples
could all be satisfied by CSS to select the first paragraph inside the
article container. I doubt any news site would deliberately make the
lede a paragraph other than the first one ("burying the lede") *and*
want it specially formatted.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas