[whatwg] SQL API and changeVersion()

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Fri Oct 5 17:52:45 PDT 2007

Besides some cleanup and clarification on wording that has been
discussed on this list, I think the spec is pretty solid - except for
one blocker.

I think `bool changeVersion()` has a deficient design, and the content
of its description - combined with the lack of clarity around "active"
and "open" transactions - makes implementing it even more dubious.

First off, it is synchronous.  So it will always block on I/O.  We've
already admitted that blocking the main thread to do I/O is very bad -
thats why the executeSql() interface is asynchronous.  By both
blocking on its own I/O and potentially having to wait until other
scheduled I/O is complete, changeVersion() suffers all the
deficiencies of doing synchronous I/O that we're trying to avoid.

But I also have some confusion about the actual intention of the
method.  The line that is the source of most confusion -
"When the method is invoked, the user agent must obtain a full lock of
the database (waiting for all open transactions to be closed), and
then must verify that the current version of the database matches the
first argument to the method."

It's easy to read this line as stating that changeVersion() needs to
block waiting for all nested levels of executeSql() and their
callbacks to complete, which seems nonsensical.

In addition to the whole spec needing a pass for clarification
regarding the implicit transaction feature - points people have been
repeatedly confused about - I propose that changeVersion() be made
asynchronous.

Adding:
interface ChangeVersionCallback {
	void handleChangeVersion(in bool versionChanged);
};

And changing the method itself to:
void changeVersion(in DOMString oldVersion, in DOMString newVersion,
in ChangeVersionCallback callback);

would suffice.

Thanks,
~Brady