[whatwg] HTML5 Feedback: Section 3.5.2 Focus

Brad Fults bfults at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:58:35 PDT 2007

A few things in Section 3.5.2:

"There is always an element focused; in the absence of other elements
being focused, the document's root element is it." [1]

This sentence is awkwardly worded and as far as I can tell,
"document's root element" is referenced but not defined anywhere. It
might be better as something like:

"There is always a single element with focus. If no other element in
the document has focus, focus is given to the document's root element
-- in this case the body element."

That is assuming, of course, that the body element is indeed the
element that is to receive focus when no other element is focused. I'm
not thrilled with this wording either, but it is an incremental
improvement in comprehensibility.

----

"If no element specifically has focus, this must return the body element." [2]

This sentence references "the body element" (with proper linking to
its definition). Is the intention here to distinguish "the body
element" from "the document's root element" mentioned in the previous
quote? If so, it's not clear what the distinction is or why it is
present. If not, these two sentences should use the same terminology.

[1] - http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#focus
[2] - http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#activeelement

--
Brad Fults