[whatwg] <video>, <object>, Timed Media Elements

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Oct 12 17:34:23 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, ddailey wrote:

> As a newcomer to this group, please forgive my ignorance of discussions
> that, undoubtedly, have already taken place, but as I have been reading
> these threads on <video> and timed media and <object>, a couple of
> questions have come to mind:
>
> 1. why not just include SMIL as a part of HTML, much in the same way
> that it is integrated with SVG? It is an existing W3C reco.

SMIL was considered, but several factors led to us deciding not to use it
in HTML5:

 - We got strong feedback from existing producers of video on the Web that
   their experience with SMIL had been universally disappointing.

 - The SMIL model is based around XML and namespaces, which isn't really
   compatible with text/html and HTML5.

 - SMIL's conceptual model wasn't a good fit for the requirements we had
   in mind for <video>.

> 2. For content such as XML, MathML, SVG, ChemML... that one would like
> to embed in an HTML document could there not be some sort of tag
> (<object> was supposed to work, but doesn't in some browsers) like say
>
>        <dom data="some.xml" id="D">
>
> for which the DOM associated with the XML content would be easily
> accessible through script as with:
>
>        XMLDoc=document.getElementById("D").getXMLDocument.
>
> It seems as though external things which have DOMs are quite different
> that other sorts of media and may deserve their own tag.

For XML content you can use <object> or <iframe> and the contentDocument
attribute to obtain the Document object.

HTH,