[whatwg] database full error (was: Re: executeSql API issynchronous)

Scott Hess shess at google.com
Sun Oct 14 15:57:50 PDT 2007

In a transactional database system, it's entirely possible that once
you're out of space, you cannot drop tables or delete rows, because
doing so will require more space during the course of committing the
transaction.

There are two levels to this.  One is if the storage medium is full.
In that case, you may not be able to make any progress without
external intervention.  The other case is if the quota assigned to the
database has been exhausted.  There, it really depends on how your
browser handles quota.  If it is a hard quota, you're probably still
DOA.  But if it's a soft quota, just counting the committed space,
then doing a drop or delete may help.

[None of this even starts to address whether DROP or DELETE will
release any space at all.]

-scott