[whatwg] When to stop <video> elements from playing

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri Oct 19 05:19:25 PDT 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:02:24 +0200, timeless <timeless at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/07, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
>> For that you need something in the browser UI. There's a large, maybe
>> infinite, number of ways to make <audio> not visible even if it's within
>> the DOM tree. For instance:
>>
>>    audio { position:absolute; left:-1000px }
>
> I can easily have a bookmarklet that goes through the dom tree and
> stops (or stops and deletes) all audio elements. I can't have such a
> bookmarklet for things that are only reachable via JS scope (and I
> don't mean JS object graph, I mean function call chains, since that's
> the best way to be evil, site's don't need to let people have access
> via object properties).

This doesn't seem like something a typical end user would do. Anyway, if
you want to do it through script maybe mute function/property/something
that affects the top-level browsing context and children, if any, would be
better, as that could take care of other means of embedding sound as well,

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>