[whatwg] When to stop <video> elements from playing

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Oct 19 16:31:46 PDT 2007

After some discussion on IRC, I think Jonas, Hixie and I agreed that we're
OK with the following approach:
-- sound is produced for display:none elements and elements not in the DOM
-- removing an element from the DOM automatically calls stop() on that
element
-- tearing down the owner document always stops the element playing (so
navigating away from the page always stops sound)

Therefore
myAudio = new Audio("foo.wav");
myAudio.onload = function () {
  this.play();
  myAudio = null;
}
will work, and will play until the sound ends or the user leaves the page.

Rob
--
"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred
denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back,