[whatwg] When to stop <video> elements from playing

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Oct 19 18:12:18 PDT 2007

On Oct 20, 2007 1:46 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > A related question is whether display:none audio and video elements
> > should produce sound.
>
> No. "display: none" is defined to affect all media, and that certainly
> should not change for <audio> and <video>.

I was sympathetic to that, but it may not compatible with playing elements
that aren't in the document. And Jonas was arguing that it's lower overhead
to not create a presentation for <audio> elements, although I think that's a
very minor issue. I don't recall who else was pushing audibility of
display:none elements.

Rob
--
"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred
denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back,