[whatwg] SQL API + access to tables

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Sat Oct 20 19:44:47 PDT 2007

On 10/19/07, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:
> In fact, we plan to disallow access to the
> sqlite_master table because there's no reason the client *should* be
> able to access such an implementation specific field that has nothing
> to do with "client side database storage"

Not really my business, but this seems like a bad idea. Applications
built on top of WebKit with SQLite are already tightly coupled to the
SQLite dialect. If such applications wanted to port to another
database engine, accessing sqlite_master would be the least of their
problems. SQLite's datatypes, for example, are different than those in
other database implementations.

Being able to introspect the database is a valuable feature. Sure it
is not best-practice, but in some cases, such as tools, it can be
useful.

- a