[whatwg] Give guidance about RFC 4281 codecs parameter

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:39:24 PDT 2007

Xiph has taken on board the many comments received over the last years
wrt MIME types and file extensions and is working on this more
appropriate I-D for MIME types cited by Ivo.

Here is what effect it has on the WHAT-WG spec:

The spec:
> Theora video and Vorbis audio in Ogg container
>    <source src="video.ogg" type="application/ogg; codecs="theora, vorbis"">

The new way:
Theora video and Vorbis audio in Ogg container
    <source src="video.ogv" type="video/ogg; codecs="theora, vorbis"">

The spec:
> Theora video and Speex audio in Ogg container
>    <source src="video.ogg" type="application/ogg; codecs="theora, speex"">

The new way:
Theora video and Speex audio in Ogg container
   <source src="video.ogv" type="video/ogg; codecs="theora, speex"">

The spec:
> Vorbis audio alone in Ogg container
>    <source src="video.ogg" type="application/ogg; codecs=vorbis">

The new way:
Vorbis audio alone in Ogg container
   <source src="audio.ogg" type="audio/ogg; codecs=vorbis">
  or
   <source src="audio.oga" type="audio/ogg; codecs=vorbis"> (preferred)

Also further examples are:

* Speex audio alone in Ogg container
   <source src="audio.spx" type="audio/ogg; codecs=speex">
  or
   <source src="audio.oga" type="audio/ogg; codecs=speex"> (preferred)

* Flac audio alone in Ogg container
   <source src="audio.oga" type="audio/ogg; codecs=flac">

Regards,
Silvia.